Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Craziness

Hi! So I know it's quick to write again, but there is just so much to write and I didn't want to let it all build up. So we are leaving Beijing tonight (overnight train to Shanghai, which I'm sure will give me plenty to write about.)

We saw the Great Wall... what can I say, it was great! (Jon had to deal with me saying that at least half a dozen times while we were there). It was great, though. We did a four hour hike on a less-travelled part. Most of it had not been re-built, so it really was like climbing ruins. The whole group was around our age, if that gives any indication. It was cool, because it gave a feel for what the wall used to be like and wasn't crowded with tourists or vendors. Took tons of pictures, you'll see them later.

Yesterday we had another day of touring, and at the end of the day we decided it was time to try some spa treatments at the hotel. For some crazy reason, we though acupuncture would be fun. (Okay, if you don't like needles, you should probably skip to the next paragraph). Don't worry, the place was very clean and very professional, and all of our needles were new and thrown away at the end. The needles look like straight pins, except about half-way down, they get a lot thinner, and they are probably 3-4 inches long. I got a head massage first, then Jon got a head massage while they did my needles, then they did his. My favorite part was waiting for him to open his eyes during his massage so I could say "I have a needle in my forehead, don't I?" And I did! I also had them in both wrists (palm-side up, so like the veiny side), and somewhere in my shins. The wrist ones freaked me out the most, because I could see them. And you know what it felt like? It felt like having needles poked in between my eyes. And in my wrists. And in my shins. And then left there for like 20 minutes. I watched them put Jon's needles in. They go an inch or two under the surface (you can't really feel that) and then the people move them around to release your chi or something, and then leave them there. Jon had a total of eleven needles: one in his forehead, one in each temple, one in each elbow, one between his thumb and forefinger, one in each foot, and one between his big toe and second toe. I don't know whether there is a difference for men and women, or if they just thought I looked like a wuss. Five was plenty for me, though. I could feel them pull my nerves when I moved my hands or feet, and I can still feel my left wrist today-- it doesn't hurt, just feels weird. I'm glad I did it, it was interesting, but I really don't need to do it again.

Okay, gross-ness is done. So after the acupuncture, we got dinner. It turns out that "vegetarian" must mean "under construction" in Beijing, because seriously three times we have looked for a vegetarian restaurant that we have found on a map, and then it has turned out to be under construction. Three times! How does that happen? So we tried for a vegetarian place, it was closed, so we went to the place next door. Jon was looking for the "do you have a menu in english" phrase in our book, but hadn't found it yet when they brought us in and seated us, so we were stuck. And they didn't have a menu in English. And no one spoke English. Everyone was very helpful, but it was definitely a trip to try to get food, and vegetarian food, in a totally different language. It worked, they brought us broccoli and some vegetable that we still don't know what it was, everything was good and it worked out. The highlight was definitely when the "Living on a Prayer" music video came on the tv and Jon spent like two minutes trying to say "I like this music" in Mandarin. I guess he got it right, because they turned it up. I figure singing along is good enough in any language.

Today was a trip as well. I got in touch with a friend from high school, Kristoffer, who lives in Beijing and actually owns a number of restaurants in town. We went to his main restaurant, a pizza place, where we got amazing calzones and had a great time catching up with Kristoffer. He speaks almost fluent Mandarin and has a pet pig! It was so cool to see someone I know who has really embraced living in China.

Alright, time to head to the train station! We are having a great time and I will try to update when I can!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow...I am glad that you caught up with Kristoffer- pot belly pig?? Or soon to be the sausage topping.... Did you feel any benefit from the acupuncture-relaxation, less stress, relieved back pain...anything? It has been around to bring relief for so long, it must be helpful in some way. I must admit I thought about you happening into the best tatoo parlour in Europe when you went for your tatoo in Madrid- it seems that you have a knack for finding clean places with needles.
Still waiting to hear what Nihao means. I love you- OXOX Mom